« Home | the first day of the rest of my life » | an undiscounted act of kindness » | new beginnings » | recreated in his image » | a special welcome » | another shandi post » | created in his image » | shandi's day out » | numberlology » | the men did not move »

post hiatus

(It's a double entendre. Get it? "Post" as in "after," and "post" as in an "online post." Think about it, you'll get it sooner or later.)

It's been more than a month since my last post. Which means that it's been more than a month since I started working at Radio Singapore International (official motto: We're Unheard Of! No, Seriously, We're Unheard Of.).

In the blogsphere, that's a really long hiatus. Which is rather ironic, when you consider that at RSI, one of the programmes I produce is entitled Blogwatch, which focuses on knitting techniques in 18th Century Denmark. No seriously, it's a programme that focuses on what its name tells you it focuses on.

So far, for Blogwatch, I've interviewed a rather colourful cast of characters. My favourite so far's Frank Warren of PostSecret fame. Frank's insight into the human condition is as amazing as the blog he created. Or perhaps better phrased: Frank's insight into the human condition is amazing because of the blog he created. If you've not visited PostSecret yet, you really should. And if you've not listened to my interview with Frank, or at least read the transcript, in what way do you actually still consider yourself a friend? (I'm kidding!) (Not really!)

The past six weeks have been (inhale...) fun, informative, surprising, fulfilling, motivating, sometimes nerve-wrecking, occasionally vexing, eye-opening, crazy, engaging, insightful, caffeinated, rewarding and exciting (exhale!).

The highlight of my journalistic career so far has got to be interviewing the President of the World Bank, Paul Wolfowitz, when he was in town last month for the nation-wide oral hygiene exhibition. I mean, IMF/World Bank Meetings. Ok, so maybe getting a 15-second soundbite doesn't qualify as an "interview," but hey, Paul Wolfowitz! How I managed to pluck up the guts to approach him as he strode towards me, surrounded by a bevy of muscle (one of whom, a female journalist gushed, looked a lot like Richard Gere) I still don't know (actually I do: it was free flow of Tiger Beer that night). He was initially reluctant when I pounced up on him from the shadows (it was during a soiree at the Esplanade), introduced myself and asked if I could ask him a question (boxers or briefs?). A member of his possie (Richard Gere) sensed his hesitation and placed a very firm grip on my shoulder and said, "Not right now, pal," when what he actually meant to say was, "remove that recorder from my boss's face or you'll be finding out just how extensive your company's healthcare benefits are." But Paul (yes, our relationship's on a first-name basis now) I guess saw the journalistic eagerness in my eyes (actually it was an alcohol-induced glaze) and said, "Ok, just one question," with a kind smile. So that's how I got my 15 second soundbite. It was a moment I'll probably never forget. If I ever do, the handprint on my shoulder will remind me.

The two other notable soundbites I got that night were from Minister for Defence Teo Chee Hean and Minister of State for Something Ho Peng Kee.

So yeah, it's been eventful to say the least.

Tomorrow (three more minutes) will also mark the first time I fly solo on RSI. In other words, I'll be going On Air for the first time, all by myself tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Hey,it's been sucha long time since we last met but we will this sat for safari tour yeah?
Anyway,it's good to hear tt u're enjoying yr work!Admire yr courage to int those pple man coz if it's me,I'll prob go..."Er,er...excuse me..."haha...
Well,all the best for 2moro yeah and brag to all of us when we see u!Btw,I started blogging again too...it's like a chain-reaction u see... = )

Post a Comment